Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Goodbye Diego, you will be missed

Also Diego is gone.

After all the others.

After Francesco, Lorenzo, Nicola, Valentina, Chiara, Torben, Vera, Giampaolo, Ettore, Alessandro, Adam, Paolo. Now Diego, and soon Giulia, Sarah and somebody else.


Always the same film, the same scenes. I remember when it was my turn, some years ago, same protocol, same feelings. I was at the airport and I turned towards Francesco and then towards the gate, “Fuck man, here we go, for real!”; I was about to cry but I’m not used to crying in front of the people, I prefer to do it when I am alone. Why? I don’t know, maybe because when I was a kid everyone said “Men don’t cry, girls do”; these days I think that’s just bollocks, people should react the way they feel, I do it now, but not always.


The protocol I was saying; the same: you meet the person one more time, while she or he is overwhelmed by the fucking baggage, around 40 kilos “But maybe they won’t extra charge me, maybe if I tell them I am a poor student with no money left...”. Me too, I said the same shit and it was the first time I caught a Ryanair flight, the end of June some years ago, Brazil had just won the 5th World Cup and it seemed impossible Italy could do anything good within the next 3 decades; “they are so cheap and you know when you are leaving, but you never know if you arrive” somebody told me when I was on my way to Skavsta; I corrupted the assistant with 5 free movie tickets, she let me board 36 kilos, it worked. I told her she was cute and she was happy to hear that, “You come from a very different culture, boys here don’t pay compliments”.


She was happy with a compliment and with 5 tickets for the movie, in Italy I should have promised her probably an audition for a national tv program; different culture, different needs.


When you are young you get thrilled for irrelevant things, but you feel alive. Experience makes you used to certain scenes and they start meaning less and less to you but it’s important not to reach that point where they mean nothing.


People are not the same; when you live abroad you meet loads of boys and girls but you don’t remember them all. Why? Because some touch you inside and some don’t. But when a person who touches you leaves it’s important to feel a little bit emptier.


It means you are still alive. 

1 comment:

Mavis C said...

"...Experience makes you used to certain scenes and they start meaning less to you but it’s important not to reach that point where they mean nothing. People are not the same; when you live abroad you meet loads of boys and girls but you don’t remember them all. Why? Because someone touches you and someone don’t. But when a person that touches you leave it’s important to feel a little bit emptier. It means you are still alive"

Very, very well said!
I'm an exchange student in Stockholm right now, and I like your blog!